Skip to main content

Refugee Services


Who is an Asylee?

Asylees are individuals who, on their own, travel to the United States and subsequently apply for/receive a grant of asylum. Asylees do not enter the United States as refugees. They may enter as students, tourists, businessmen, or even in undocumented status. Asylum seekers must show that they have a well-founded fear of persecution due to their race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership of a particular social group, and are unable or unwilling to seek protection from the authorities in their own country. Once in the U.S., or at a land border or port of entry, they apply to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for asylum. At that time, LSSNCA may provide them services to reach self-sufficiency in their new community. 


What services are available to asylees?

Asylees are eligible for Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) assistance and services, programs such as cash and medical assistance, employment preparation and job placement, and English language training. Additionally, similar to refugees, Asylees are eligible for social security number through social security administration and employment authorization thru United States Citizenship and Immigration Services(USCIS). Furthermore, each state administers ORR assistance and services a bit differently. It is important for Asylees to reach out to LSSNCA offices immediately upon being granted asylum status as some services are time sensitive. Asylees may apply to receive refugee cash and medical assistance for up to 8 months beginning on the date that they are granted asylum.

LSSNCA has various supplemental programs which Asylees may be eligible for:

For Maryland Asylees:

LSSNCA administers Refugee Temporary Cash Assistance (RTCA) program providing cash assistance and case management for 8-months from date of asylum approval. Furthermore, Asylees have access to Health Care Coordination Services, a dedicated staff will assist with choosing Managed Care Organization and ensuring client is connected to primary care; Extended Case Management Programs (ECMP), which work with clients who need further assistance after other programs have ended; the Extended Cultural Orientation (ECO) programs to assist with further in depth orientation and acculturation in the US.

For Virginia Asylees:

These include the Virginia Refugee School Achievement Program (VRSAP), which helps both parents and children acclimate to the US school system; the Refugee Health Education and Outreach (RHEO) program, which helps newly arrived clients to understand the US health system and access the care they need.


Common Questions

1. I am an Asylee. How long do my services at LSSNCA last? 

It depends on the case, however, it is important to note that Asylees may only receive cash and medical assistance for up to 8-months. 

2. What are important agencies I need to reach out to? 

Social Security Administration – Social Security Number 
Food Stamp and Medicaid– Department of Social Services 

3. I was granted asylum before, and my family has now joined me as derivatives, are they eligible for services? 

Yes, please visit our Hyattsville, MD or Fairfax, VA office. 


What is the best way to reach us?

Do you qualify for Asylee benefits? We would be happy to answer your questions or assist you in receiving assistance as you build a new home in the United States. Click the button below to fill out our confidential inquiry form.

Please visit our offices Monday – Friday 9am to 5pm: 

  • Maryland: 3799 East West Hwy, Hyattsville, MD 20782
  • Virginia: 8922 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax, VA 22031

Please call our office at: 

  • Maryland Office: 240-714-4034 ext. 323
  • Virginia Office: 240-619-9567